Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why Read the Classics #8

My reaction to the essays is both logic and emotional . My reaction is logical because it opened my mind and made me think why I read classic books. After each definition I would ask myself if I agreed or related with what he was saying. I did agree with every definition which leads my thoughts on the essay to be emotional. I enjoyed every definition and was satisfied with the article. I liked how the author complimented other works and elated them to his topic. I felt his tone was positive and informative and it made me want to read more. One reason I may have related to this essay more than the other was because it was a more interesting topic to me. I do not like reading classics. I find the word "classic" to mean boring, old, and confusing. After reading this essay I found that teachers do not make us read classics to bore us or just to have an assignment. They make us read classics so they can affect our lives and give us something to relate to. Classics teach us important lessons and can help us find out who we are. My reaction to this essay is logical and emotional. I learned important information and let it affect my life.


Calvino, Italo. "Why Read the Classics." The Uses of Literature. New York: Vintage Books, 1999


No comments:

Post a Comment