Monday, August 15, 2011

Brave New World Last Thoughts

I somewhat enjoyed the novel Brave New World. I have many thoughts about the book and would like to share them.
I believe The World State changed the world for people in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. The World State took away a god or spiritual belief. Instead of having their people have guidance in a spirit they had them take soma. Soma is a drug used to calm the body down and forget about emotional things. I think soma is a symbol of this book. Soma is what the character John was so upset about. It killed his mother and end the end is what he killed himself about. Soma gave the people of the World State no feeling or emotional connection. I think advising people to take the drug soma is a horrible idea and if the book continued I think it would kill all the people of the World State becuase someone would eventually realise that it was horrible.
I also think it was incredibly wrong to make babies out of test tubes and science andgiving them a class system to live in before they are born. In some ways it may seem like a good idea. For example, you could raise them the correct way, fix things that were wrong with them and adjust them to a climate changes or lifestyles. Those things might be worth it to some people but I find them just wrong! I believe in babies being born naturally and not machine made. I believe the class systems were a good thing for a book, but I hope they never have them in real life.
These were just some of the things I thought of while reading this novel. Some peole may agree or disagree with what I say and I understand that but in the end these are my opinions and my analyisis of this great tale.

Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World. New York: Harper Perenial, 1969.

No comments:

Post a Comment