Thursday, June 23, 2011

Good Readers and Good Writers My Reaction

When I first read this essay my reaction was emotional. I thought the comments he said were offensive and inconsiderate but after reading the essay numerous times I discovered the authors point was to how readers and writers to understand novels in a different way. An example of this is on the first page of the essay. The author says, "Can anybody be so naive as to think he or she can learn anything about the past from those buxom best-sellers that are hawked around by book clubs under the heading of historical novels" (Nabokov 1). When I first read this essay I found this comment rude and offensive to readers who read best sellers and those in book clubs. Now I understand his point was to tell readers they need to read on different levels and look between the lines to find the real meaning of the novel and apply it in their writings. After readers find the meaning they can approve their writing skills and add to great literature. These points tie in with the thesis statement. I also found “Can we really rely on Jane Austen’s picture of landowning England with baronets and landscaped grounds when all she knew was the clergyman’s parlor" (Nabokov 1) a very offensive comment. I thought he was criticizing her work and not giving a good reason why. I realize now that his comment was true. Readers cannot really rely on one woman's work for all of England's literature. I do however think the tone of the observation was a little harsh but I understand the point of the remark. When first reading the I saw he used the words "should" and "must" many times. For example "One should notice fondle details" (Nabokov 1) and "He must create himself"(Nabokov 1). I found it annoying and not necessary. I understand that he had to use the words "should" and "must" to inform readers and writers of the necessary elements of becoming good readers and writers. I know now that my reaction to the essay is a logical reaction.


Nabokov, Vladimir. "Good Readers and Good Writers." Lectures on Literature. New York: Plurabelle Books, 1946

2 comments:

  1. so what was the point of his Jane Austen comment? why did he use "should" and "must" instead of something else?

    what are we to gain from reading? and what does it have to do with being a good writer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is very helpful, I wondered about this amazing article.. This is very informative.
    “you are doing a great job, and give us up to dated information”.
    Skip Hire Plymouth

    ReplyDelete